Friday, September 3

Should I keep this memory?

No one has heard this side of my story yet. A lot of different things in my life have taught me different things. But this one had not brought itself out till lately. It's not like it was on the priority list even for me till I kept encountering it. You might be waiting to know what this is. Asking the question, "Is it a family issue," "is it an insecurity?",... To be honest, when I tell you some of you might want to gag, burst out laughing and seeing it from someone else's perspective does make this thing look a lot sillier than it really is. It is a door. This door, for a whole lot of my life had grabbed the power to control how something would turn out. Would this door protect me? Would it stand and defend me? Would it thrash onto the floor and let me face life alone? It had a choice to make, but only according to who was standing on the other side of it!
You see, like me, it was powerless as well. It couldn't defend me or protect me or hide me from the world for a while as I took a moment to breathe.
It was a lifeless piece of plastic that had come to be a part of my life.
So today I ask the question, this door still stands, some adjustments made to it, but still stands, should I keep the memory of all that has happened, and what could potentially have been prevented, if I had a different door, a door with character and strength and power to protect me when I needed it most?
All I want to do sometimes is to hit and break this door for all the painful memories. But it had been brought to my life based on a financial and easier decision than custom making a door. But also because this door taught life lessons that other doors or things wouldn't have.
This door reminded me to be cautious, to not be naive, to be confident but humble, to stay in the presence of Jesus, to not alienate myself and to trust people one by one.
I think the pro's have a greater effect or me than the cons'. So should I keep the memory that makes me more powerful, authentic and reachable today or forget one that made me shake, cry and long for something more or different?
A lot of the times I have to write about a painful incident. I have to let out the words of frustration and hurt, to move past my indecisiveness. And this revelation just helps me rest in the decision that even when I am weak and am going through a hardship, then in fact, I am strong cause I am in Him.
It reminded me of Paul, this is what he wrote;


2 Corinthians 12:7-10


"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."


If my memory can be related to the thorn Paul had to live with and my victory allows me to boast in the One who stands taller and stronger than a door, should I keep the memory that will keep me humble, relatable and strong? 













1 comment:

  1. Hey shaz
    Interesting thoughts.

    I have a heap of memories too that I have to sort through - and in MY mind there can be no room for them if I want to be healthy and functioning. But that's just me.
    I guess it depends on the memories and what purpose they can serve hey?

    shaun

    ReplyDelete